Family Matters | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Relationships » I Need Advice
Jojo
Jojo Nov 30 '16
I have a question for all of the couples, When joining a family, How many of you believe that the men/ husband of the house makes all the rules, and how many believe it should be a combined discussion for decisions? I understand this world, My question is when you know its not a match you walk away, but im curious to see what couples believe as to who makes the rules if anyone?
Share:
TheWolf137
TheWolf137 Nov 30 '16
My view is that certain high-level rules and guidelines would be handled by the man and some rules would be open for a discussion. The only way to harmony is to communicate and understand the wants of each person and find a comfortable middle ground.
Jojo
Jojo Nov 30 '16
Sure understood, But shouldn't there be a say agreement orr a discussion or would you think its just IE: your rule? theres a reason I ask this as being curious to what others think thanks for your response
EarleHeidiandMolly
EarleHeidiandMolly Nov 30 '16
Group here, not a couple. Earle responding, with additional insight from Molly.

On personal issues, we talk things out, when there are issues. Because let us be honest, there will be issues. We work towards a resolution. This is one advantage polygamy has over classical relationships; the buy in is deeper with more people, the support network is stronger.

Bigger financial stuff we discuss as a group, get sign off from everyone involved. Same goes for other big direction changes. Smaller scale stuff, like what groceries to buy or when to do an oil change, we just take care of as needed. No need for a consensus and it gets in the way of individual decision making. 

We group care for the kids, so there is not as much distinction between whose child is whose. Diapers need changing, kids need help with school, we just kind of step in where we can make the most impact. Discipline we have agreed to back each other on, 100%, even if we do not agree at the time. In the rare cases where this happens, we discuss it afterwards. One cannot have a fractured front on parenting. It is unfair to the kids and creates instability, in my opinion.

I am relied upon to make decisions in a crisis, it is kind of part of the job. Not because I am male, that is just how it works out in our particular circumstances. I am pretty good at it, or I would defer to another person. I think it helps for there to be a person who is to be relied upon, someone to be The Decider when the situation calls for it.

Jojo
Jojo Nov 30 '16
Well Earle,

I see things that way as well, Its ok for others to have a different opinion, I was just curious, If someone were to say that a child at 17 only had 2 months to find a Poly husband and if not one would be arranged for her would you feel that would be appropriate for your children? TO me I would think that Olive had a choice in her life over Monogamy or Poly? Just curious really is all.  

EarleHeidiandMolly
EarleHeidiandMolly Dec 1 '16
No. My kids are being raised to be adults. Adults can make their own decisions. My children may not agree with me on politics, religion, may have a different sexuality preference, they may choose to not get married or have children at all. That would be their free choice. I can guide them in a way that seems proper to myself, to help prepare them to decide on their own how they are going to live the rest of their lives. But it ultimately remains their choice.
Jojo
Jojo Dec 1 '16
Would have to agree 100% with you on this Earle, 
Itsus
Itsus Dec 4 '16
Egalitarian is the way to go. I normally lead discussions but everyone has equal input and decisions are made together. We talk it out till everyone is happy with the outcome.
lionheart27
lionheart27 Jan 27 '17
Quote from Jojo I have a question for all of the couples, When joining a family, How many of you believe that the men/ husband of the house makes all the rules, and how many believe it should be a combined discussion for decisions? I understand this world, My question is when you know its not a match you walk away, but im curious to see what couples believe as to who makes the rules if anyone?
Well it gos both ways sometimes things ain't easy but somone have to be smart if things get really bad give each other space take a walk or hit the gym when both parties are not mad like adults u sit down and talk about it then never try to repeat always be open to new things and that's how is done
michelleg
michelleg Jan 30 '17
I agree with the talk together and always be open to new things. You don't to you try it first then you can decide if you like or not.
Jojo
Jojo Feb 2 '17
Thank you all for the feedback. I had to take a break for a few weeks, needed some space to figure out a few things but im back I hope you are all well. 
Jason
Jason Feb 2 '17
hi there Jojo :-),   My apologies i have been busy with work and working on this invention :-) Got the day off so to speak today. (Paperwork) 

I have just read peoples replies, i agree with everything that has been said :-) 

Yes, the man is the head of the house, as GOD set it in place (CHRIST is the head of the man and the man is the head of the wife.... Wives submit to your husbands as a service to the LORD, and husbands LAY down your life for your wife as i CHRIST have layed down my life for the Church ) With true leadership there is a laying down... its a position of SERVING "NOT" a position of being served ! 

At times its the man who makes the descisions, but in saying that there should ALWAYS be communication and the husband and wife/wives should all be in agreement :-) For being in agreement is huge :-) At times GOD will give the man the idea, but give the wife/wives the timing :-) Where both the need to listen to each other :-) Being a husband/ man of the house is not a lording it over the wife/wives.... but serving :-) Knowing GODS word and being true and obedient to it. 

Its funny how people out there think its about sex, when it comes up in conversation.... But friendship is the most important thing.... and the commitment to be a good provider and protector of the family :-) To lead and guide your family in GODS ways with GOD loving / fearing wives :-) To love one another and work together as a family unit :-)Having the families best interests at heart ! The ultimate act of Love is allowing a person the freedom to choose ( The freedom to stay, the freedom to go ) In saying that there are always consequences with every decision we make, so choose wisely and carefully :-)   PS :  There is so much more that can be said :-) Have a great day,  Jason :-)

TexasJD
TexasJD Mar 27 '17
I see things much differently. But then again I maybe the only one here of my faith. In my faith when a man marries he gives his wife a set of keys symbolising her domain, the house. She is the property owner because we, the men, tended to die at a young age. Now, where a poly relationship is concerned it would be the responsibility of the wives to manage the day to day affairs of the household. While my faith was nearly destroyed early on in the 2nd century CE, it is having s resurgence. So we end up discussing more now than our ancestors did. We are paving the way for future generations.
Rich16Liz
Rich16Liz Aug 19 '17

In my/our opinion everyone should have an equal say in what happens as decisions that effect all members of the relationship each should help decide what is best for all. I consider my wife my equal and know many times we work things out for what is best for BOTH of us our Family, not just the individual. We talk things out and try to understand the others persons differing view. I think it is disrespectful and dismissive to not value the opinion of a integral part of the couple/triad. And to be honest if someone consistently defers being part of the decisions for the marriage then to me that shows a lack of wanting to be part of the marriage.

Just because someone has a Penis does not mean they are any better than someone who has a vagina at making decisions.

If one part of the relationship/marriage consents to giving up being part of the decisions for the marriage then that is a different matter.... but to me and us that would not be acceptable as we'd expect everyone to be involved.

Just my 2 shekels worth of opinion 

CinAndJes
CinAndJes Sep 16 '17
What my wife and I are looking for is complete equality. Rules and huge decisions 
sadiahh
sadiahh Nov 3 '17
If you are an established family and have already a set of rules, then you should carry on that way, but before the commitment the new family member should know that those rules are not setup to make her life difficult

but rather setup because it suited the family situation before her (especially if has been going for over 10 years). She will ask all the questions she like and know everything there is to know, and will be let in on the day to day. To be successful, one must run the family like a company; LOL there is a CEO, and different departments and they do different things. No first wife is the same and no newcomer is the same. The new comer might want to stay home, then here role will be household and family, she wants to work then the home responsibilities have to be divided equally. Each situation is different.
If you love and trust the family, the family will be there for you, there is nothing to be afraid about; even jealousy and issues should be discussed openly. exactly like when you go to work for a new company, you sit down read their their boarding documents, and process and negotiate and if you don't like the deal no one will hold you by the sleeve. This is a loving home situation; if something is important to you it should be important to all of us, but we both need to know things upfront so everyone is ready and fully functional for the better of the framily, you can't come up with something different everyday and make it so important to you that the rest of the family is constantly jumping hoops to make you happy. You should be happy on your own and should be ready to share your happiness and the family's happiness. my humble opinion.

3ofakind
3ofakind Nov 16 '17
Quote from Jojo I have a question for all of the couples, When joining a family, How many of you believe that the men/ husband of the house makes all the rules, and how many believe it should be a combined discussion for decisions? I understand this world, My question is when you know its not a match you walk away, but im curious to see what couples believe as to who makes the rules if anyone?
We believe that all major life decisions should be made together. Just like any other marriage.  
Password protected photo
Password protected photo
Password protected photo