self sustaining living | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
lookitisme
lookitisme Dec 13 '21

Does anyone have anything to share about off grid living?

Me, I am a big fan of lithium as a main power source. I am trying DHGate for that. It seems to be the best prices, lets see if it gets here.

What are people actively doing to engage their community in an autonomous way? Im curious. Does anyone have any creative ideas that stand out?

JingoFamily
JingoFamily Dec 30 '21
I think we are coming from this from very different points of view but I am working towards getting out of the city and onto some number of acres in the mid term. The goal being as close to self sufficiency as possible when it come to raising food and keeping children out of the toxic nightmare of government schools as well as just leading a more genuine life in touch with the land. 

ParadiseRanch
ParadiseRanch Jan 17
Historically speaking, the small European style farm is the most sustainable way of life that there has been historically.  It works in any time frame, any climate and on any continent and is completely scalable.  Nothing else even comes close or could really be considered truly sustainable.

lookitisme
lookitisme Jan 19
What are your resources though that European style is superior? I think since we all started off in Africa, that would technically be the original and most practices would have been pillaged from them. Maybe you can be more specific around what you mean by "European style". I am not too sure I understand what that means/that kind of languaging around it.
JingoFamily
JingoFamily Jan 19
@lookitsme We left Africa Waaaaaaay before the development of agriculture so not sure how hominids leaving Africa in various waves over thousands of years is part of the equation. 

I can't speak for our man @paradiseranch and his thought process but presuming that we are talking in terms of north America, which is where most of us live, the various incarnations of European from single family to a small community level (like some of our anabaptist groups practice today) seem an obvious loose model...our own historical farming having grown out of them after all. I can see if your local ecology supports rice paddies or sugar cane fields then yeah, certainly look to other models. Just a little unsure why some of the various European models  would not translate well given that they have previously done so. 

That being said, I think it would be silly to not incorporate some of the more recent developments. The first thing that comes to my mind is mob grazing for example. Higher carrying capacity being music to the small homesteaders ears obviously. 

lookitisme
lookitisme Jan 20

ya but they went back. you think europeans invented the concept of a community garden and/or agriculture? they just commodified it.

to your question, american individualism is the key in unlocking individual control. the plastic state pays the middle man well.

no, the europeans definitely did not invent it. they just picture-storytimed it and made it into a dollar value. all your astrology comes from African literature, moon cycles in coordination with crop cycles. the europeans put it into a little package, like "kleingarten" in former soviet easter german because also the concept of land ownership is a western concept. think of europe as an individualistic bridge and grandfather of stolen information from africa. Thinking anything else will have you quickly on a false narrative. the europeans innovated more in transportation, weaponry, steel, to later would become the commodofication of all goods swiped from Africa after ww2.

if you would like to understand some of the cooler parts of european innovation check out how germans analyzed nature. its difficult to any idea of how things were, and came to be, without the colonization,commodification of nature, and the attachment to rome. The natural aspect though, medicines, astrology, etc.. did come from Africa. The greeks just put fallacies of stories behind it and made it mythical. Harvard incorporates natural botonics from stuff the west label as "vodooo", but then use in their core scientific methods. Its a big mess, but having lived in Germany, and speaking German on a daily basis connects me to the mother of our tongue, english, and I think thats important to get away from north american, north american white superiority complex and back to original human values established back in africa, prior to rome and others as those are the values which have been incorporated in our society, that are not commodified, but used as tools to brainwash us in the media (group comfort vs peer pressure, dance circle vs mob mentality, and all the other bad things london institutions and pre-war german beaurocracy etc..)

Im sorry I cannot point a single resource there is too much in here that is combined.

excuse my brutal honesty. the statements on european superior gardening had me have to go back in the invention of astrology and the "label" we put on those inventions. new methods are important. first isnt always best. its still first though. so new methods are always a step in the right direction, as long as we pay it forward.
The Forum post is edited by lookitisme Jan 20
lookitisme
lookitisme Jan 21
Hey, so I meant rather in solar and wind energy. The current equation I would use is to accomodate for winter, the coldest months at 30% capacity. Thats how much sun we get at that time. So for example, it all boils down to storage. A 1000w oil heater, maybe you have 4 of them. Then you need 4kw /hour if you run them all night. Then multiple that by hours and thats about 32kw youll need stored for that night.

Then you take that number and look at your source and storage. If you can produce 3KW per hour (assuming you are in best case able to produce 9kw because its only 305 efficiency), then you can produce perhaps 3*6 good hours per day and maybe get 18KW per day. Therefore youd need to double the production per hour.

Likewise if you can produce 100kw per day but only be able to store 10KW that is still not sufficient.

All venting so where does lithium come into the equation. Well its double the price of other storage systems like lead acid but holds a lot more power. Likewise, you can reuse it 3000 times instead of 500 like lithium batteries. So it pays itself off over time, assuming your system is stable.

I was just wondering what other people did. So far I have been trying to get set up but theres a lot of factors. Also very cold in Canada. Insofar, solar combinewd with geothermal based systems to me seems the most sustainable but if you have any other ideas let me know, as well as what your climate is and how you plan and hope to handle it. No wrong answers. But hope that clears it  up:)

lookitisme
lookitisme Jan 24
interesting! Im interestedin hydrogren storage, Ill have to take a look at that. I concern over the fishes lives in hydroelectric, how were you planning on doing that? I know I have a lot by a brooke but decide not to use it because it can harm the fish but if there was a way to leave them intact Id love to know more
lookitisme
lookitisme Jan 26

Are there any fishes that do get damaged? The ones I saw that were reasonable in price were in the 20% better efficiency but still some lost ones. I think its important to not be too intrusive on nature.

Also does it need to be a bigger and strong river? Would a small stream give you a few kW per day?

For me my criteria is totally harmless to nature and I can do it myself if need be. I had closed river power off for awhile because I didnt like how the industry considered fish death to be a casualty, but flowing water could be a good source of energy.

texasfarmcouple
We've had a farmstead for about 11 years now.  Paid it off.  Have cows, chickens, donkeys, pigs, sheep.  Have the ability to go off grid entirely, but its a lot easier to pull power on demand as needed.  Where we are at, wind is best - solar is a distant second as the panels have seriously depleted output after a few years.  And the turbines I use have a 25 yr warranty.  I find that an array of small (500w) is better than one big one for lots of reasons.
lookitisme
lookitisme Mar 10
*double like to both posts above*
LeoDragonLove
LeoDragonLove Mar 20
Earthship homes are the ultimate way to go.

The self sufficient home takes care of its occupants. These dwellings are heated by the sun, and cooled by the earth. They harvest the rain, and recycle the water 4 times. A garden receives the water, and grows a modest amount of produce. A Solar Panel PV system provides the electricity. Some recycled materials are used in the construction. 

I have met Michael Reynolds and his son on separate occasions. 
In 2013, I lived in the Earthships at New Mexico, Taos. 

I already have the building plans. My home will be modified using retaining wall blocks instead of the tire wall. 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. 

For more information, visit
YouTube for virtual tours. 
PangeaBuilders.com 
EarthshipGlobal.com
Password protected photo
Password protected photo
Password protected photo