How to stay Legal | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » Relationships » I Need Advice
sadiahh
sadiahh Nov 3
I live in a southern state and Polygamy is not legal. How do you introduce your sister wife to your friends, family and neighbors without risking someone telling on you? So basically to protect you and your sister wife from trouble? Any feedback is appreciated.
Share:
robynk
robynk Nov 3
Technically you are not married to more than 1 spouse so you are not practicing bigamy, You are cohabitating with them Most Poly marriages are spiritual marriages after the first spouse. I would check your local laws on Cohabitation to see what they state.
sadiahh
sadiahh Nov 3
I saw an online Cohabitation agreement, but was not sure what is it used for? Are the sister wife OK with that usually? how does she protect her rights and the rights of her children if there any? I am 100% that I will make sure that she is protected, but ones wonder about that. So if someone called on you and your family, would the cobs take the time to show up and if they do, showing them the Cohabitation document will make it all good to go? Just curious. thank you
TexasJD
TexasJD Nov 5
Sadiahh,

I too live in the south Texas specifically. There are no legal rights for the second, third, or fourth (etc) wife. A cohabitation agreement will not be valid for the second wife etc. This law is merely for those who don't wish to be legally married.
Since polygamy is illegal in the United States the othet wives really have no protection under the law.

Bigamy is where you legally marry more than one person. Which normally when the state finds you are already married the second is annulled.
Most of the time we are overlookes by the governments for our "crime". Sometimes it won't be like with the crazy flds guys back in 08 here in Texas. They also dont leave you alone if you insist on flaunting it (c.f. my 5 wives, sisterwives etc) if you put it out there on social media constantly, you should prepare to be harassed by the cops.
EarleHeidiandMolly
If you want to ensure financial protection, set up a corporation with shares of the assets or put all of the assets in a trust. Have well-written wills that cover what might happen. Ex: if First wife and I die, we want all the kids (and assets) to go to the second wife, same for me and 2nd wife. Since I am legally the father, I am covered if they die. Spend some money on a good lawyer to draw up a some legal instruments that do what you want to have done.

There is no federal law against polygamy specifically, but all 50 states have state laws against it. Cohabitation is legal, and yes here in Texas you will probably get harassed by the cops. We have been.

sadiahh
sadiahh Nov 9
What do you mean harassed by the cops? I like to stay away from any infractions with the cops or similar folks. please explain if you can
Cam777
Cam777 Nov 14
Good info, thanks.. I have been curious how I should approach the matters myself.
Password protected photo
Password protected photo
Password protected photo