Religious diversity | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
truelove4u2
truelove4u2 Sep 10
I believe that we should all live in peace and harmony and that includes within the marriage bond.  Are there any couples who are of different religions that have successful marriages or are willing to try it? I believe that love can supersede religious differences. Does anyone else agree?
Share:
vegemite
vegemite Sep 19
I appreciate the positive sentiment and aspirations. However I respectfully disagree. Love will fade over time, and anchor points like a common religion would be very helpful to bind a family together. In particular with regards to the upbringing of children.
truelove4u2
truelove4u2 Sep 19
I appreciate your comment.  I do think it can be difficult, but it also depends on the two people involved.  If the woman agrees to allow the children to follow the religion of their father or both of them agree to let the children choose for themselves, it can work.  Most of the time, these issues are not spoken about before marriage, so the problem arises later.  
vegemite
vegemite Sep 19
Yes agreed it should be discussed well before marriage. Yes it is a successful traditional model for the children to follow the religion of their father. But why do you want a wife not of the same belief? What is the objective of the union? Can two walk together if they are not agreed?
truelove4u2
truelove4u2 Sep 19
Well, in my religion the man is the head of the household and the wife should be obedient to her husband.  That doesn't mean that he should oppress her or tell her to do something that is wrong or beyond her capacity.  He should be merciful, kind, and loving.  He should share quality time with her and help her to do things.  This concept is not strange according to God's scripture, but many don't hold to the Holy scripture when living their lives.  When you have two heads of a household or two captains of a ship, there will usually be conflict and problems.  The structure of the family as laid out by Almighty God is always the best and is the blueprint for success.  If a woman chooses to marry a man, she has also chosen him as her leader and head of her household, this includes him being the leader of the children as well.  For indeed, a house divided against itself is always bound to fall.
cwc419
cwc419 Sep 19
Your first statement's message appears to be different than your last.
The Forum post is edited by cwc419 Sep 19
truelove4u2
truelove4u2 Sep 19
It may appear that way, but it's not because everything we do to live in peace and harmony with one another has to be within a type of order or structure.  The couple love one another, the man allows her to practice her own religion.  We were talking about a wife of a different religion than her husband.  We were not talking about the children at first or the structure by which the household would be established. Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all agree that the man is the head of the household and the wife should be obedient to her husband according to all three scriptures. Therefore, even if the wife upheld her own principles, she would have to accept her husband as the head of her household, but she has the freedom to practice and believe in her personal religion with respect.
cwc419
cwc419 Sep 19

Both Islam and Judaism deny Christ, so I am not sure how the differences could actually be handled over time with a husband of the Christian faith. Same goes for New Age, or what I have come to understand is marked as 'Spiritual' on this site. Core beliefs matter. Being unequally yoked does have consequences.

The idea of differences in religion is not deep enough, what should be discussed is the idea of beliefs of the heart. What does someone truly believe when it comes to family, relationships outside the home, the world in general.

A family that is already established based on the beliefs of the 'family' risks being changed by the beliefs of someone coming in. A husband may think he can deal with that difference but the thing that may need to be consider is how will that difference effect the other members of the family's belief?

The method of morality most be defined within a family, is it from an external absolute source, or is internal based on what society, or each individual dictates?  I know from the statement you made about the three man made religions morality is not as much an issue as it would be for someone outside those beliefs.

The Forum post is edited by cwc419 Sep 19
LoveisaLion777
NO - it will not work, unless the other person shows some genuine interest in following Yeshua (Jesus). It will always lead to an erosion and blunting of the sharp spiritual edge - and in the end invariably ends in a seperation ... The Most High in the bible states to avoid being yoked with unbelievers. This is because He then cannot work in such a relationship with one person having their back to Him. Look at Solomon, his main wrong was marrying pagan wives, not having 300 wives and 700 concubines - however that was a different issue, however no - not a good idea, unless she wants to know Messiah and shows interest in that regard.
vegemite
vegemite Sep 21
Just a thought, the original poster was asking about all religions in general, we are a little sidetracked here. And I would hazard a guess that the OP would not be seeking for his additional wife to show some genuine interest in following Yeshua.
vegemite
vegemite Sep 21
Furthermore, in times like these we should consider the wisdom of Caitlin Upton, Miss South Carolina Teen USA 2007, when she said "I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, uh, people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future. For our children."
truelove4u2
truelove4u2 Sep 21
I want to clarify a misconception.  Islam does not reject Jesus.  Islam accepts Jesus as a mighty Prophet of God, born of immaculate conception.  It is Judaism that rejects Jesus all together as being a true Prophet of God.  The Bible calls Jesus a Prophet of God, Islam accepts and confirms this.  Islam accepts all of the Prophets of the Bible including Jesus.  Muslims are taught to love and accept Jesus.  Muhammad taught that Muslims should live in peace and harmony with Jews and Christians if they don't attack them physically or drive them out of their homes.
vegemite
vegemite Sep 21
Sometimes people develop that misconception after reading verses in the Quran like 9:29, where it states "Fight those who do not believe in Allah or in the Last Day and who do not consider unlawful what Allah and His Messenger have made unlawful and who do not adopt the religion of truth from those who were given the Scripture - [fight] until they give the jizyah willingly while they are humbled.".
The Forum post is edited by vegemite Sep 21
truelove4u2
truelove4u2 Sep 21
Yes, that is as a result of a person only reading a part of the Qur'an or just listening to those who hate Islam quote a part of the Qur'an without understanding it properly or intentionally trying to misinterpret it.  For example, the Qur'an says, "Fight in the way of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress. Indeed Allah does not like transgressors." (2:190)  So, we can clearly see that in Islam, you cannot fight anyone that is not fighting you.  Also, it must be noted that this fighting is not upon all people.  It is only upon those who are rich and refuse to pay the taxes that are due on them while living in a Muslim country in order to receive all of the services of the government, including physical protection within that country and from outside attacks.  This was not unique to those who were not Muslims, but the Muslim leaders also declared war against the rich Muslims who refused to pay the taxes to the government.  This was not to make the non-Muslims become Muslims.  As we can see the Qur'an says, "There is no compulsion in religion: rectitude has become distinct from error." (2:256).  The Qur'an also says, "And say, ‘[This is] the truth from your Lord: let anyone who wishes believe it, and let anyone who wishes disbelieve it.'" (18:29) Furthermore, the Qur'an says, "Allah does not forbid you in regard to those who did not make war against you on account of religion and did not expel you from your homes, that you deal with them with kindness and justice. Indeed Allah loves the just."(60:8)  So, from this is should be clear that the verse sited was in regards to those who are rich and are rebelling against the laws of the government.  Otherwise, both Christians and Jews were allowed to live in peace and harmony with the Muslims within a Muslim country.
vegemite
vegemite Sep 22
Always good to have a civil discussion. So just to clarify, it is acceptable to fight and force payment of the jizyah from a. those who are rich, and b. rebels in Muslim-controlled regions?
truelove4u2
truelove4u2 Sep 22
It is only (b) rebels (Muslim or non-Muslim) in Muslim-controlled lands.  We can't say just against the rich because it is only against the rich who are rebelling against the laws of the Muslim government in the case of Jizya.  For the non-Muslims the tax is called "Jizya," but for the Muslims, the tax is called, "zakat."  In fact, the tax upon the non-Muslim rich is less than the tax upon the Muslim rich, both are forced to abide by the Muslim laws.
vegemite
vegemite Sep 22
Okay thanks for explaining. Have a good and peaceful day.
truelove4u2
truelove4u2 Sep 22
You're very welcome.  You too have a good, peaceful, and enjoyable day.
cwc419
cwc419 Sep 22

In any event, even though I don't think mixing of religious diversity within families is a good thing for some, all depends on the family structure and what they are willing to allow.

However, I think plural families need all the help they can get from the community of poly believers and so accepting poly families outside of religion is beneficial to all.

truelove4u2
truelove4u2 Sep 22
Very good, thanks for the pleasant comment.  I like this site alot and support it.
Password protected photo
Password protected photo
Password protected photo